Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ailey at the APOLLO



Last night I jumped on the A train and headed to Harlem, umbrella in one hand and camera bag in the other. I was ready to be wowed as I always am when ever I go the The Apollo Theater. Alvin Ailey was having a performance for the 50th Anniversary Spring Gala that combined dancers from the company and gifted students in a program that had me on the edge of my seat. There is something truly amazing about the Apollo Theater. I always feel as if the spirit of everyone who has ever performed there is hanging in the air. Christopher Williams and his wife Janice were honored at the event that raised money for dance scholarships. Tiki Barber was the Honorary Chair. There was a gasp of surprise in the audience when he admitted that in 12 years of living in NY this was his first visit to the Apollo. After the performance everyone headed over to the tent where people helped themselves to food and then hit the dance floor.




No comments: